After focusing on all the wrong things in 2007, Zoleka Mandela is on a mission to make things right in 2017.

Ten years ago, Zoleka Mandela made the decision to drop out of university. Now, in 2017, she’s decided that she is going to work harder than ever to right her error and she is going to do this by picking up where she left off and obtaining her degree

In a lengthy Instagram post that begins with “I’m a varsity dropout!” Zoleka tells a touching story about how her grandfather offered to pay for her studies, but her mind was elsewhere.

She spoke about how, at this time, she was more focused on "boys, sex, cocaine and alcohol" as well as a variety of other drugs.

Now, however, she’s ready to turn it all around and is investing her own money to pursue a qualification (despite the fact that her grandmother, Winnie, offered to help).

If there is one person who is inspiring us to chase our dreams this year, it’s Zoleka Mandela.

Read the emotional story below:
I'm a VARSITY DROP OUT!!! Dropped out in 2007 whilst studying through Unisa and towards my Bpsych Honours (Bachelor of Psychology degree) at Midrand Graduate Institute! On the days I went to campus, dropped off by the driver who was given strict instructions to see to it that I make it to my lectures, my boyfriend at the time would be waiting for me in his car that I would make my way to shortly after the driver pulled off. This was back in 2001, I never attended classes and instead chose the very things that made 2007 another year where I would waste the monies spent on my education - boys, sex, cocaine and alcohol! No, there was a whole lot of weed and ecstasy too. When I left MGI, I was in the process of completing my thesis and practical hours being one of a handful of students selected for the Honours equivalent programme at the varsity. It breaks my heart thinking about the time, energy and money I squandered that My Day One spent for 7yrs to ensure that I get my degree. I think it still pains her to this day and I'm remembering how my late grandfather asked that I please get my first degree in South Africa and to then further my studies anywhere in the world at his expense. Now I feel like crying! 😪 I guess I should be a little more grateful, I should be ashamed though but I can't begin to explain the excitement in My Day One's voice when I called to tell her that I finally registered at Unisa yesterday! I'm going to complete my degree and not wait for another grandparent or child of mine to leave this earth before I graduate! My grandmother (My Day One) wants to pay for my education again but I won't let her, I paid all my fees for this year alone with my own money! That makes me feel proud, it's long overdue and I probably should feel humiliated that at 36yrs ... I still don't have a degree BUT it's NEVER TOO LATE TO REWRITE YOUR LIFE STORY or to apply to study!!! #NeverTooLateToRewriteYourLifeStory
A photo posted by Zoleka Mandela (@zolekamandela) on
Axact

Hello Mzansi

Hellomzansi.com is a South African online blog covering Entertainment news, Celebrity Gossip, Sports, Odd news, politics, business and all the Latest South African News

Loading...

Post A Comment:

0 comments: