Controversial KwaZulu-Natal realtor Penny Sparrow is in plea bargain negotiations with the State, the Scottsburgh Magistrate's Court heard on Monday.

Both the State and defence attorneys confirmed they had entered section 105 discussions. However, both parties required more time to continue negotiations, Magistrate Vincent Hlatshwayo heard.

Hlatshwayo was visibly angered at the move, saying he should have been informed of negotiations prior to court proceedings getting under way.

“I want to state my unhappiness at this move. This should have been done long before arriving at court. Not on the day. I will allow a 30 minute break. But I must emphasise this should have been indicated to me before court.”

He added: “I walked into court at 09:00 and there was not a soul in court. I should have been at least informed.”

Racist rant

In June, the Umzinto Equality Court ordered Sparrow to pay R150 000 to the Oliver and Adelaide Tambo Foundation for her racist Facebook rant.

The African National Congress took Sparrow to court in January after she referred to black beachgoers as monkeys on Facebook.

In an interview with News24, Sparrow explained that "monkey" was used as a term of endearment by white people.

Sparrow, who had been in hiding at the time, broke down as she revealed that she had received threats after her comments.

"The threats were terrible... my phone was so busy that I couldn't dial out. There were terrible death threats. People said they were going to bomb my house and people sent pictures of naked women and saying I was going to be raped... it was shocking," she said.

Several South Africans have landed themselves in hot water for racist comments they made on social networks. They include Vicki Momberg, Capetonian Matthew Theunissen, Standard Bank’s Chris Hart and government official Velaphi Khumalo.

Source: News24
Axact

Hello Mzansi

Hellomzansi.com is a South African online blog covering Entertainment news, Celebrity Gossip, Sports, Odd news, politics, business and all the Latest South African News

Loading...

Post A Comment:

0 comments: